Don’t Touch My Truck: What’s Non-Negotiable in Your Leadership?
So, I didn't fire the employee, but I did make his decision to leave an easy one.
I wish I could tell you that I walked away from that experience knowing I had done everything I could. I didn't. I knew what I believed, but I had never taken the time to decide what I was unwilling to do when what I believed came into conflict with what someone with more authority expected of me.
There is a difference.
This semester, I'm teaching an ethics course, and during our first week together, I asked my students to develop an ethics creed. We talked about their non-negotiables, the things they would not compromise even when doing so would be easier, more convenient, or expected of them.
As I listened to them work through their answers, I thought about that employee.
At that point in my career, I had never intentionally identified my own leadership non-negotiables. I had values. I knew what I believed was right and wrong. But I hadn't done the harder work of deciding where the line was and what I was prepared to do when someone asked me to cross it.
So when that moment came, I was trying to find the line while I was already standing on it.
And I crossed it.
I know where that line is now. And it brought me to a song I only recently discovered after falling down the country hip-hop rabbit hole: "Don't Touch My Truck" by Breland.
There is nothing subtle about the boundary in this song. The title alone tells you everything you need to know. Don't touch my truck.
And while your leadership non-negotiables probably have nothing to do with a truck, that's exactly what made me think about that experience differently. The problem wasn't that I didn't have values. Most of us do. We can tell you we believe in integrity, fairness, respect, courage, or doing right by our people.
But a value tells you what matters to you.
A non-negotiable tells you where you will not move.
That's the distinction I hadn't made all those years ago. And it's why I don't think leaders should wait for the ethical dilemma to figure out where their lines are. You need to know before someone reaches for the truck.
So let's talk about three ways to make those lines clearer before they're tested.
1. Turn Your Values Into Lines
Integrity sounds good. So do fairness, respect, courage, and accountability. But those words don't tell you what you will actually do when one of them is challenged.
That's why identifying your values is only the beginning. You have to translate them into behavior.
If fairness is one of your values, where is the line? Maybe it's, I will not allow someone on my team to be treated differently because they aren't well-liked. If courage matters to you, maybe it's, I will not stay silent when I believe a decision will harm my team.
The more specific the line, the easier it is to recognize when you're approaching it.
Put it into practice: Pick three values that matter most to you as a leader. For each one, complete this sentence: “As a leader, I will not…”
If you can't finish the sentence, you may know what you value without knowing where your line is.
2. Find Out What Your Line Costs
It's easy to call something non-negotiable when nothing is asking you to negotiate it.
The real test comes when holding your line has a cost. What happens when speaking up creates tension with your boss? When doing what you believe is right could affect your reputation, an opportunity, a promotion, or simply make your job harder?
That's the part I hadn't considered all those years ago. I knew I disagreed with what I was being asked to do. But I hadn't thought through what I was willing to risk because of that disagreement.
Not every line requires that kind of commitment. That's why pressure-testing the line is important. It helps you distinguish between something you strongly prefer and something you truly aren't willing to compromise.
Put it into practice: Take each of the non-negotiables you just identified and ask: What could holding this line mean for me? Then ask the harder question: If that happened, would this still be my line?
3. Rehearse Before You Need the Words
Knowing your line doesn't guarantee you'll know what to say when someone asks you to cross it. Power, pressure, and surprise have a funny way of making perfectly articulate people lose their words.
So don't wait for the moment.
Think about how you would communicate your non-negotiable without becoming defensive or turning every disagreement into a showdown. Sometimes holding the line sounds like, “I can't support that decision, and here's why.” Other times it might be, “I'm not comfortable taking that action, but here is what I can do instead.”
I don't know whether having those words years ago would have changed what happened with my employee. But I do know I would have entered the conversation much clearer about what I believed, where my line was, and what I was prepared to do to hold it.
Put it into practice: Choose one of your non-negotiables and say the words out loud. How would you communicate it to someone with more authority than you? Rehearse it until the first time you hear yourself say it isn't when the stakes are high.
TL;DR 🎧
- Your values tell you what matters. Your non-negotiables tell you where you won't move.
- Define the line. Turn your values into specific behaviors you aren't willing to compromise.
- Test the line. Decide whether it still holds when keeping it could cost you something.
- Rehearse
the line. Practice what you will say before pressure, power, and consequences enter the conversation. - Don't wait until you're standing on the line to decide where it is.
Final Thought
Your line won't look like mine. It shouldn't. But you should know where it is, why it's there, and what you're prepared to do when someone asks you to cross it.
Because eventually, someone will reach for the truck. 🛻
Keep the Jukebox Playing 🎶
Every song featured on The Leadership Jukebox is added to our Spotify playlist. [Add The Leadership Jukebox to your Spotify library here.
Want the next Leadership Jukebox delivered directly to you? Subscribe to the blog using the follow button on the upper left of this page.
Prefer reading on LinkedIn? Subscribe to The Leadership Jukebox on LinkedIn here
Until next time, keep listening for the leadership lessons hiding in your playlist.



Comments
Post a Comment